Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Movies
One key reason is that most of the Big Event movies have lost any glimmer of individuality. The problem isn't just that they're sequels, but that they're all bulked-up, 1950's-style B-movies, crawling with sci-fi mutants, cyborgs, military experiments gone awry, drag racing and Vargas-like pinup girls. Even "The Matrix Reloaded," for all its futuristic visual effects, was weighted down with the kind of pseudo-intellectual blather that would've been at home in Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series of '50s sci-fi novels.
-from Los Angeles Times.

I think they are giving Matrix Reloaded too much credit comparing it to Asimov.

In other news: I was stewing in nicotine-free tobacco-free anguish tonight so I decided to take a walk. As I walked by the theater, I noticed it was almost 9:30. So I bought a ticket for Terminator 3 and went to see it. Again. I rather enjoyed it this time. Alot of the plot holes seemed to solve themselves on second viewing. And I think on my first watch, I was looking too hard for the "emotional storyline", forgetting the thing that Terminator is all about: action. The movie has really great action in it. So anyway, I no longer regret T3 being a part of the coveted Terminator series.