Monday, June 02, 2003

Web police
I've recently been reading some interesting debates about whether or not the Internet should have a central governing body. I think it will be a sad day when that happens. The fact is, the Internet is an international community. It is governed the most logical way any international community should be. If I were to register with an American registrar, I would be governed under American laws only to the extent that they could take away my domain name if I defied their laws. If my server is located in Canada, however, Canadian laws also apply. The fact is, if I were to defy American laws, they couldn't just walk into my country and arrest me (not legally, anyway). This seems like a good way to do things. A central governing system would just be pathetic and infinitely corrupt. The Internet would become more censored than Iraqi media.