Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Yet another inner-struggle
For over one and a half years, off and on, I've greatly desired to destroy my old "Tradition" guitar. Many times I've actually planned on smashing it at a show. But the one thing that kept me from doing it was the simple fact that I had no other classical guitar to fall back on. Now I have one. I had been planning to smash the Tradition at the upcoming Mozeba performance on Saturday. That, in itself, would be a great inner struggle. The Tradition harbours an immense amount of sentimental value to me. I couldn't even predict what my emotional outpour would be upon its destruction. But earlier this week I had resigned to do it. Indeed, I was even hyped to do it. I was looking forward to it.

But no, I'm not going to destroy the guitar. It is more than the sum of its parts. It's not just a chunk of wood attached to another chunk of wood attached to another chunk. It can change someone's life. It changed my life.

No, I realise I don't need the guitar anymore. There is no reason for me to keep it, and indeed, I shouldn't keep it. So I'm not going to keep it. I'm giving it away to a friend of mine at work tonight who has shown interest in learning to play classical guitar. Maybe it will change his life; or at the very least, broaden his musical horizons. Maybe he will take my example and give it away to someone else when he's finished with it. Perhaps the Tradition still has a use in this world. Who am I to make sure it doesn't?