Sunday, June 29, 2003

The MT bug
After almost 24 hours of being free of the Movable Type bug (ie: the constant nagging dream of owning a Movable Type powered blog), this article caught my attention. Dammit, stop tempting me! I have to constantly remind myself that I'm happy with Blurty, Blurty is all I need. My weblog looks fine. No, it doesn't look spectacular, but it's aesthetically pleasing, easy to read. I can't keep moving my blog around to all corners of the Internet just because I'm an obsessive-compulsive freak.

Blurty has all I need in a weblog host. It's incredibly easy and convenient to use, there's no ads, I have lots of privileges. So what if the comment feature is sub-par? So what if I can't use Javascript? Big deal. It's about the content, dammit. Users can damn well be anonymous if they haven't a Blurty username. Yes, the Blurty servers aren't anything to write home about, but it's not like I could afford a web host with perfect servers anyway. No, I don't have a coveted dowingba.com domain name, but I don't really need one; dowingba.blurty.com is fine by me.

As an experiment, I signed up with Netfirms, because I heard that they meet all the requirements to set up Movable Type. I had no intention of using this account, I just wanted to see how hard it was to set up MT. And damn, it was hard. Why can't they make a good MT-like blogging system that is localized on your computer, and which FTP's all your settings to your server, and FTP's your posts when you post them. Blah, I don't know.

Sorry for the extreme overuse of the word "damn" in this post. I just wish I could accept my web situation as is and stop obsessing over improving everything. I'm a perfectionist, I guess.